1. What are the benefits of having police investiga- tors who specialize in a certain area? What are the drawbacks? Do you support specialization or generalization?
2. Of all the suggested characteristics required for an effective investigator, which three are the most criti- cal? Are these qualifications more stringent than those required for a patrol officer?
3. What is the role of the victim in investigating crime?
4. What misconceptions regarding investigation are conveyed by television shows and movies?
5. What do you believe is the most important goal of a criminal investigation?
6. What major factors must responding officers consider while proceeding to a crime scene?
7. How important is response time to the investigation of a crime? How is the importance affected by the type of crime?
8. What determines who is in charge at a crime scene? What authority does this officer have?
9. Controversy exists over which emergency takes pre- cedence: an armed suspect at or near the scene or a severely injured person. Which do you think should take priority? Why?
10. What balance should be maintained between free- dom of the media to obtain information during a crime investigation and the right to privacy of the individuals involved?