Assignment 2: Evaluation of a Weight Loss Program
Many Americans believe that they are overweight, from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds. Because of this, weight loss systems are big business. For this assignment you are to select weight loss system and evaluate it in terms of the information about the physiology of ingestive behavior covered this week.
- Find a Web site/brochure/popular article/advertising about weight control that proposes a mechanism for loss of excess weight.
- Document the key proposals in terms of the main claims for success for the program (for example: restriction of fat, small portions).
- Describe the reasons provided for the effectiveness of the program (for example: A full stomach reduces hunger, etc.).
- Discuss the physiological components involved in the weight loss program. Clearly express an understanding of the physiology of the process of hunger, satiation, eating, and drinking as relevant for the weight loss method being described (for example: Long periods between meals would be likely to reduce blood sugar levels).
- Present a critique of the materials based on the module information on eating and weight regulation.
- Evaluate the proposal and suggest whether you would try this weight loss system or recommend it to someone else. Explain why or why not.
For this assignment you are required to cite, at a minimum, the online course and the text book for the course. Additional sources are welcome. Scholarly sources are preferred and can be found through AUO’s Library. Please see the Library and Tutoring Services section under Course Home to use AUO’s Library. Additional, non-scholarly sources from reputable Web and print sources are also acceptable. For reputable Web sources, look for .org, .net, or .edu sites as opposed to .com sites. Please do not use Wikipedia.
Your paper should be double-spaced and in 12 point, Times New Roman font with normal one-inch margins, written in APA style, and free of typographical and grammatical errors. It should include a title page and a reference page. The body of the paper should be between 3-4 pages. Submit your response to the M4: Assignment 2 Dropbox by Sunday, August 11, 2013.
|Assignment 2 Grading Criteria||
|Documented the key proposals in terms of the main claims for success of the program||
|Discussed reasons provided for the effectiveness of the program||
|Discussed the physiological components involved in the weight loss program||
|Presented a critique of the materials based on information on eating and weight regulation.||
|Evaluated the proposal and provided reasons as to whether you would try this weight loss system or recommend it to someone else.||
|Wrote in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrated ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources, displayed accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.||