Library Research Assignment
Background: Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) is all of the garbage, refuse, trash or junk that gets thrown away from our homes or small businesses. All of this MSW is collected and taken away. Have you wondered where it goes? In the 1950’s and 60’s it went to open dumps. In the 1970’s landfills were established but there were problems, and today there is new legislation and technology to better manage this waste.
For this assignment, you will review the history of MSW. Complete the following:
- Describe an open dump. Explain the environmental problems.
- Describe an early landfill. What are the problems associated with early landfills? Include a discussion of leachate, methane, incomplete decomposition, and settling.
- Describe a modern landfill. What are the differences as compared to early landfills? What improvements have been made?
- Choose 1 of the following landfills, and explain the innovations being implemented to make the landfill more productive and to reduce its environmental impact:
- Mariannhill Landfill, South Africa
- Puente Hills, California
- Altamont Landfill, CA
- Tessman Road Landfill, TX
Please submit your assignment.
The following rubric will be used for grading:
|20%||Description and problems of an open dump.|
|25%||Description and problems of an early (1970’s) landfill.|
|25%||Description and improvements of a modern landfill.|
|25%||Description of the innovations found at one specific landfill.|
|5%||APA style research paper|
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.