Assignment 4: Job Application Cover Letter
Due Week 10 and worth 130 points
Are you looking for employment or advancement within your current job? Completing this assignment will help you name and identify the skills and abilities that will move your career forward. Develop a Job Application Cover Letter that highlights and emphasizes why you are the person most suitable for your ideal role. Use the general writing guidelines on p. 277-278 in the text for structural and content guidance. (Examples can be found on p. 274, Figure 14-7, and on p. 279, Figure 14-8.)
The message should take the form of a business letter; however, you will submit your assignment to the online course shell.
The job letter / application message must adhere to the following requirements:
- In terms of content:
- Highlight relevant background and job history information.
- Emphasize significant qualifications and exclude nonessential ideas.
- In terms of format:
- Follow proper letter formatting techniques, per business letter format.
- Use an appropriate and professional greeting and closing.
- In terms of style:
- Use simple language.
- Use relatively short sentences with sufficient variety.
- Keep first and last paragraphs relatively short; hold others to six or seven lines.
- In terms of mechanics:
- Ensure that there are no grammar or spelling errors.
- Eliminate wordiness and unclear sentence construction.
Your assignment must:
- Be typed, single-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Submitting your assignment:
- Submit your assignment through the online course shell only.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Use writing process strategies to develop brief business documents, such as routine messages, bad news messages, and persuasive/sales messages.
- Support ideas or claims in body paragraphs with clear details, examples, and explanations.
- Organize ideas logically by using transitional words, phrases, and sentences.
- Use sentence variety and effective word choice in written communication.
- Write clearly and concisely using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Click here to view the grading rubric.