For this assignment, you will examine the relationship between gender stereotypes and culture. Do different cultures have different ideas about what jobs are appropriate for women and what are appropriate for men? Why?
- A variety of jobs are listed in the Resources. When you look at each job, do you think of a male or a female? Work quickly, and write down the first response that comes to mind. If it takes you more than a minute to respond to all of the jobs, you are over thinking it.
- Find someone who has a different cultural background from yours. Ask that person to do the same task, and write down the responses.
- In your paper, answer the following questions:
- Did you find any patterns in your responses? Do some of these jobs have more traditional masculine/feminine traits?
- What similarities did you find between your responses and your partner’s responses?
- What differences did you find between your responses and your partner’s responses?
- Do you think cultural backgrounds affected the perceptions that were drawn?
- What does the research say about minimizing gender stereotypes in the workplace?
Your paper should be 3–4 pages in length and include a minimum of two scholarly sources supporting your conclusions.
Occupations and Gender
Write down male or female for each job listed below. Work quickly and write down the first response that comes to mind. After you have completed your responses have your partner respond as well. In order to avoid biasing your partner, it is probably best to either give your partner a sheet without your answers or to read them aloud and record the answers.
Occupation Your Responses Your Partner’s Responses
3. School teacher
4. Taxi driver
6. Baby sitter
12. Make-up artist
13. System engineer